Surprise someone special in your life with Green Eggs and Ham this weekend. In our day jobs, we get to interview some amazing people -including chefs. This recipe by Balboa Cafe’s Rick Edge, back in 2011.
Green Eggs and Ham
|8 large eggs|
|4 tablespoons clarified unsalted butter|
|4 slices Caggiano artisan ham (3–4 ounces each)|
|8 ounces green garlic hollandaise (recipe follows)|
|4 servings home-style breakfast potatoes (recipe follows)|
For the green garlic hollandaise:
For the home-style breakfast potatoes:
|1/2 pound green garlic tops, cut||6 medium unpeeled large red potatoes, diced in 1/2-inch cubes|
|1/2 inch thick||2 tablespoons salt (for blanching water)|
|1 tablespoon canola oil||2 tablespoons canola oil|
|8 ounces vegetable broth||Salt and pepper for seasoning|
|4 egg yolks||1 red onion, diced|
|3/4 cup clarified unsalted butter, melted||3 cloves garlic, minced|
|Dash of Tabasco||1 tablespoon paprika|
|1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice||1/2 tablespoon ground cumin|
|Salt and pepper to taste||1/4 tablespoon ground coriander|
|1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper|
|1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley|
|2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives|
- Sear ham in a cast-iron skillet until caramelized and heated through and set aside.
- Heat a small nonstick fry pan over medium heat and add the clarified butter.
- Crack two eggs into the pan, cook eggs until the whites start to set, then jiggle the pan to make sure eggs are not sticking.
- Flip eggs and cook for about 10 to 15 seconds.*
- Place eggs on a plate, garnish with green garlic hollandaise and serve with ham and home-style breakfast potatoes.*This process will have to be repeated unless multiple
To make the green garlic hollandaise:
- In a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook the green garlic in the canola oil until the color starts to turn.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring the liquid to a boil until liquid is reduced by half.
- Transfer green garlic and liquid to the bowl of a blender and blend on high until smoothly pureed.
- Over a double boiler* whisk the egg yolks along with the green garlic puree until the eggs have doubled in volume.
- Being careful not to let the eggs get too hot, slowly drizzle the melted butter into the eggs while continuing to whisk.
- Once all the butter is incorporated into the eggs and the sauce has doubled in volume, remove from the heat and whisk in the Tabasco, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Cover sauce and place in a warm spot until ready to use.*If you do not have a double boiler, you may whisk the eggs in a stainless steel bowl over a sauce pot containing simmering water. Be sure not to let the bottom of the bowl touch the water or the eggs will get too hot.
To make the home-style breakfast potatoes:
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with salted cold water and bring to a boil.
- Cook until tender but still slightly firm, about eight minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, allowing them to cool and dry.
- In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the potatoes and let them sear for two minutes or until they start to color on the bottom.
- Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Stir the potatoes to allow them to brown as evenly as possible.
- Once potatoes are evenly browned and crispy, add the red onion and minced garlic, and stir mixture for about a minute to allow the onion and garlic to perfume the potatoes.
- Add the spices and herbs, season again with salt and pepper and set aside.