Wanting to get that summer glow? Well for most of us that means either using bronzing lotions or going to a salon for spray tan. And we don’t have to remind you about the scary melanoma rates related to tanning booths, right? On that health note, if you want instant results we suggest looking for a paraben-free spray tanning option. Katherine Goldman, founder and owner of Stript Wax Bar, with salons in Palo Alto, Oakland, Walnut Creek, Los Angeles and San Francisco, which offers these safe tanning options offers tips on how to make your next one last.
- Make sure to wax or shave the area a day before your spray tan. Waxing will remove the tan so always do so a day before your service. Shaving or waxing the day of can make skin more irritated, so wait for your skin to calm down before spray tan application.
- Exfoliate before a spray tan. Use a body scrub to exfoliate dry skin before a tan. This will help with even application of the product and ensure a flawless look.
- Wear dark, loose fitting clothing to your appointment. Spray tans usually include a bronzer that can rub off on light colored clothing so always wear dark colors. Tight clothing can rub against the skin and create lines, so make sure to wear something that is baggy.
- Plan not to shower for at least 6 hours. This allows the tan to develop, as water will wash away the active ingredient from the skin. Most people like to schedule their appointment in the evening so they can just go home, go to bed, and shower the next morning.
- Use dark sheets the night of your tan. Make sure to put dark colored sheets on your bed after a spray tan appointment. The bronzer can rub off onto sheets and clothing so make sure to swap out anything white the day of your appointment.
- Get a manicure before your spray tan appointment and then protect nails with a little Vaseline. This will help prevent darkening around the cuticle.
- Purchase the right after care products. It is important to moisturize your skin after a spray tan as this will help it last longer. You can also get a lotion with a small amount of DHA, the active ingredient in spray tans, to help keep the tan from fading.